Wednesday, August 24, 2011

August 24

I just finished the 1st draft of the Facilitator Training Manual for Community Based Monitoring that I've been working on.  There are 4 of us looking at it now in order to edit it and make sure it's correct and that it's easily translatable into Hindi.  The first copy is over 80 pages including pictures and references, but not including data spreadsheets.  Wow!

As my time wraps up here, I can't help but reflect on the last 2.5 months.  It seems like just yesterday I was getting ready to depart the US for India and now I'm leaving.  The simplicity of my life here has been truly amazing!  At home I've got 1000 things going on and feels like I'm constantly moving at 100MPH.  Here, I just have Unnati and the Police Line gym.  That's definitely a lesson I'll be taking home with me!

I've realized that I do have the gumption to handle international work.  Many times people say, including myself, that they want to work internationally, but it's said from the comforts of their home, which usually includes AC, hot water, electricity, and lots of amenities.  Although the heat has been tough at times, I've answered that question for myself.  I can handle it... maybe for only 8-10 weeks at a time, but I can handle it.

Another major realization for me is how passionate I've become about Public Health and Disaster Management issues.  While the CBM program is not directly related to Disaster Management, improving people's lives and health will inevitably lead to better disaster preparedness.

Tomorrow will be my last day at the gym with the kids.  And Saturday is my last day at Unnati.  Hopefully I will get to see everyone here again in the near future.  The relationships I've developed here and friends I've made will definitely be in my heart and thoughts for the rest of my life.

Till next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment